Snowshoeing Adventure - Great Falls (Grades 4-12)
Come have fun in the snow on this two-mile snowshoe trek into the back-country at Silver Crest Winter Recreation Area.
We will bundle up and learn some new skills: animal track and tree identification, trail finding along with winter safety as we walk through the woods. At the halfway mark, we will come across a warming hut, where we will rest and eat our lunch. Then we will continue on through snow angel field, where we can make some impressions for the next group of snowshoer's to enjoy. At then end of our trek, we will enjoy making s'mores before we head home.
We are requiring the adult volunteers to assist with carpooling the girls up to Silver Crest Recreation Area. That means you must be a registered girl scout and have had a background check to volunteer. We will need a copy of your drivers license and vehicle information, insurance, etc. prior to the trip. We will require a minimum of 4 drivers.
Snowshoes, a girl scout winter hat, hand warmers and s'mores will be provided.
What to bring:
• Water, 1 bottle
• Backpack or fanny pack to hold your lunch, water.
• Facemask or scarf
• Boots --snow boots or waterproof hiking boots. Snowshoes don't fit on tennies well
• Long socks are best if you have them so they don't creep down your boots
• Warm jacket--or many layers so you can take things off if you get warm
• Hat or hood
• Snow pants or if wearing other pants, wear long johns too
• Sunscreen (chapstick?)
• Comfy shoes to change into after the hike
• Extra clothes for after hike in case you get wet.
• Personal medications/pain meds as needed
• Leader will carry a first-aid kit and safety gear: whistle, knife, matches, duct tape, GPS/Spot, water purifier, map etc.
• Whistle if you have one
Registration for this event is $15 per girl and closes on February 11th. After February 11th, your program registration is non-refundable.
Are you a new member since Spring 2016?
If you are and you have not previously registered for events online, you may notice some issues with setting up your eBiz account (eBiz is the system we use for program registrations). If you find that the system is not recognizing you, please complete a Program Registration Form and email it to email@example.com or fax it to 406-252-4063 prior to the registration deadline. In the email that you send, please also notify us that you had troubles creating your eBiz account so we can assist in creating the account on your behalf for future online registrations.
Not a Girl Scout? Not a problem!
Sign up to be a Girl Scout today and you can join in on the fun too! You will be able to come back here to register for this program 24 hours after you’ve become a Girl Scout. When you come back to register for a program, you’ll need to create an account for our Activities website. Once that’s done, you’ll be all set to register for our programs.