Each membership year GSMW will honor one Silver Award project with the GSMW Silver Award of the Year. A membership year starts on 10/1 and ends on 9/30 of the following year.
To be eligible for the GSMW Silver Award of the Year, the following criteria must be met:
- A Troop Volunteer or Juliette Mentor must complete the online GSMW Silver Award Training Video scoring a minimum 8/10 on the quiz.
- Each girl on the team must be a registered Cadette Girl Scout in 6th, 7th or 8th grade and, have successfully completed the prerequisite Cadette Journey and its Take Action project.
- A Troop Volunteer or Juliette Mentor must submit the GSMW Silver Award Approval Request. Only one form per project is needed.
- If the project is not immediately approved by GSMW, the Troop Leader or Juliette Mentor works with the Highest Awards Coordinator to rework the Silver Award project so it meets the Silver Award standards set by GSUSA. This step should be girl-led, meaning that the Troop Volunteer/Juliette Mentor can be the point of contact with the Highest Awards Coordinator, but the project is reworked through girl-led team discussions and ideas.
- Each Silver Award team member
submits the Silver Award Final Report and Silver Award Time Log by September 30th.
- To be considered for the Silver Award of the Year, the Silver Award, the prerequisite Journey, project approval and project start date do not have to all occur in one membership year. The Silver Award process can span over multiple membership years.
- The Silver Award team submits a 1-2 minute video describing their project and the impact it has made on their community and themselves. The video must be submitted by September 30th.
- Silver Award teams that have completed steps 1-6 will be considered for nomination and reviewed by a committee. The Silver Award of the Year will be announced by October 30th.
All criteria listed above for the Silver Award of the Year
must be completed by September 30th.
If your Girl Scout team has already started the Silver Award project, the project can be eligible for the GSMW Silver Award of the Year by having Troop Leader/Juliette Mentor complete the online GSMW Silver Award training and Silver Award Quiz, achieving a minimum score of 8/10. Then complete the GSMW Silver Award Approval Request and the team will have the opportunity to make project adjustments as stated in step 2 above. Then follow steps 5 and 6 as stated above.